Sunday, November 14, 2010

Almost Final Mock Up

So here are 2 mock ups of the home page that (unlike the proposal which were ideas) is very close to being ready to be done and ready for splicing and coding etc.
TO BE CLEAR: the lit sign, "tattoos," is not going to be lit - they will all be mouseover sprites and stay lit when on the page. The sign at the top leads back to the home page. I just have the one sign lit up so you can see what the navigation hover / active state is. Nothing on the homepage will be lit up initially unless moused over or clicked   :)

I would like some critique. Specifically on the treatment of "not so evil" and "tattoos"... I think we will have Don custom write out tattoos for us instead of using a font offline.... not sure...



6 comments:

  1. I think you guys should definitely have him do a custom tattoos font. Not only would it look legit, but I feel the style of online fonts look too polished and clean for a tattoo artist. Also we can add it to my type foundry ! Worst case, you should at least check out the sailor jerry bottles and borrow some of the motifs. You might even be able to find a sailor jerry book if you guys are going to go in that direction, I've seen them at borders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay, Borders! I can give you coupons, or check something out for you. I also agree with Jimmy on this matter, I don't like the fonts chosen for "Tattoo" for the same feeling, even though I see what you were going for. Also, I think their could be more contrast between the word and the sign for the hover/lit signs, I love that they light up red, but I feel like I'm expecting the sign to be slightly more vivid, maybe darker. Though I know you're working with a black background, so I'm not sure how you'd solve it... Anyway, looks great so far though, can't wait to see it down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm still not completely sold on the "not so evil" type.
    what if it wasn't sticking out of his neck?
    perhaps type set it like the "don" in the logo?
    it just looks like it is stabbing him in the neck, which is pretty evil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I liked the "Not so Evil" Better as a word bubble. And I agree with Jimmy. Get him to write "tattoos". it'll really bring the design home.
    If you are hell bent and determined to do it like this, then I agree with James. Type set it like the "don" in the logo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes. thats exactly what i was thinking when i saw your proposal that i thought the links should be below the title and light up like the main sign. it makes everything look that much more realistic. i also like the stars that you can see now. seems a lot like this guys style

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the first one is the most successful in my mind. The font for tattoo seems to blend much better with the rest of the site. The second one, although it kinda screams tattoo, I think its too much of a contrast from the rest of the site and it distracts me. The top one seems to blend in more and my eye goes to the Evil Don sign first.

    Overall, I think you guys are in the right place. Seems like the site captures what he is as a tattoo artist. I like the pattern at the top. It creates a really nice texture.

    ReplyDelete